The affordable smartphone market has never been as exciting as it is today. Let’s admit it, the best compliments you could give sub-10k peso smartphones from 5 years ago always ended with “…but for the price it’s okay”.
Now Vivo is addressing the sub-10k peso market with the Y91, and it certainly ticks all the right boxes:
- SoC: Qualcomm Snapdragon 439 Octa-core w/ 3GB of RAM
- Storage: 32GB internal, up to 256 GB microSD expansion
- Display: 6.22-inch Ultra All ScreenHalo FullView™ Display, 88.6% screen-to-body ratio
- Software: Android 8.1 w/ Funtouch OS 4.5, Jovi Smart Scene AI Assistant, Smart Split multi-tasking
- Camera: 13+2 MP rear / 8 MP front-facing
- Connectivity: 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS, BeiDou, GLONASS
- Battery: 4,030 mAh
- Security: Rear fingerprint scanner & Face Access
- Ports: 3.5mm audio jack, micro USB port
- Colors: Starry Back, Ocean Blue
- Price: Php 9,999
Octacore? check. Dual cameras? Check. Huge battery? Check. All screen display? Check. The Y91 has a lot going for it and the only real competition that comes to mind is Xiaomi’s Mi A2 lite, which trumps the Y91 in some areas with its better Snapdragon 625 SoC, stock Android 8.1 (Android One), and slightly lower price of Php 9,590.
Their batteries are almost the same capacity, with Vivo throwing in an extra 30 mAh to win it. Pair that with the low power Snapdragon 439 and you’ll be asleep soundly on your bed way before the Y91 needs a recharge.
Provided that the Y91 indeed does come with an IPS LCD (or even an AMOLED), the smaller notch might woo enough customer to win Vivo the best sub-10k smartphone crown. Though for us, we’d still gravitate towards the stock Android experience. Either way, sub-10k peso smartphones have definitely moved on from just “okay” to “why not?” especially for those looking for very long battery life.
The Y91 is available through Lazada for Php 9,999, so if you think Vivo has a winner here you can order one now.